The Guiding movement in Tamworth stretches back a long way with girls and Leaders finding friendship and fun.  Our Division was officially formed in February 1918 although newspaper articles indicate that there was an Amington Guide unit in 1914 which raised some money to send “comforts to Amington men at the front.”

In September 1943 Lady Bady Powell visited the area and viewed a large parade which included approximately 100 members from Tamworth.

Julia Findley, a Patrol Leader at Glascote Guides is reported to have passed all her tests to become one of the first two Queens Guides in Staffordshire in early 1948.

1st Tamworth Guides and Brownies as featured in an old newspaper article (date unknown) when they were trying to recruit more members in order to survive.

Margaret Wright, formerly of 1st Tamworth Guides, and ex-Division Commissioner for Tamworth recalls “Over the years many units have opened and in the 1980`s Rainbows arrived. Over the years there have been interesting and exciting times. In the 1950`s 1st Glascote Guides went on a cycling trip to Holland and much later Fazeley guides went to Switzerland. Stoneydelph guides had a holiday in Ireland. In 1973 we had a big Rally on the Castle grounds with the Scouts and another Rally and Carnival in 1985 to celebrate 75 years of Guiding.”

At some point in time we were joined with Lichfield Division but as numbers grew that became impractical and Tamworth became a Division it its own right.

We have our own Standard which is carried on special occasions.

There have been changes to the structure of the Division over the years and we currently have three Districts named St Editha’s, Vincent and Watling. Our president is Pearl Storr, as pictured here with Marie Hames who was Division Commissioner at the time of our Diamond Vintage Fair (2016) to celebrate and thank Pearl who has been a member for over 60 years and has been a great mentor to many leaders and young women in Tamworth.